Old Canton Jail

      The Canton Jail, formerly known as the 'Canton Prison' was built in 1883 and is located at 106 W. Allen. According to Ordinance #33 published in the Canton Carrier May 24, 1883, the old jail was to be built at a cost not to exceed $ 85.00 with dimensions of 8' x 10'.  It was to be used as a city prison.
 The building was restored in 1993 and continues to be maintained by the Friends of Canton, a local nonprofit organization consisting of volunteers dedicated to the preservation of history and the betterment of Canton.